Owing to a lifestyle that includes an unhealthy diet and no exercise, stress, and anxiety are common factors that impact your mental and physical health. Also, it is not just about feeling down in the dumps. Stress does leave a significant impact on your body, and not a good one. One of these effects includes a constant pain in your neck and back. Including some exercise such as yoga for neck and back pain can prove beneficial.
Yoga has been a part of the Indian culture for more than five centuries. It has slowly transitioned from ancient art to a global phenomenon owing to its numerous benefits. Yoga for neck and back pain is a combination of stretching, strength, balance, and breathing techniques. Moreover, there are yoga asanas to help you deal with stress and minimize chronic pain.
With that said, let us understand how yoga helps you get rid of these two debilitating conditions.
Why Yoga For Neck And Back Pain Is The Best Decision? – Know Here
There is enough proof of how yoga helps treat health issues like migraines, arthritis, and lower back pain. Further, numerous studies have proven how a week of yoga classes can provide you with improved mobility in comparison to taking pharmaceuticals. Hence, yoga is a recommended way to exercise your body and get rid of chronic pain by practicing yoga for neck and back pain.
To help you avoid back and neck pain, yoga offers your body a gentle massage. Therefore, you can include light yoga stretching and asanas to help you get rid of these two issues.
Given below are five yoga for neck and back pain asanas you can practice to come out of this debilitating condition.
Yoga Asanas For Back Pain
1. Cat-Cow Stretch
- Start with your knees and hands on the yoga mat with your back straight.
- Inhale and lift your sitting bones upwards. Bring your chest forward and let your stomach sink.
- Slowly lift your head, relax your shoulders, and away from your ears. Keep looking straight ahead.
- Exhale and round your spine towards. Tuck in your tailbone. Pull your pubic bone in the forward direction.
- Relax your head towards the mat. Do not force your chin to touch your chest.
Thus, it is one of the best poses of yoga for neck and back pain to get rid of chronic pain.
2. Bridge Pose
- Lie down on the yoga mat. Bend your knees and keep your heels drawn towards your sitting bones.
- Keep your arms alongside your body.
- Press your arms and feet into the yoga mat while lifting your tailbone. Lift your thighs until these are parallel to the mat.
- Bring your palms close together. Interlace your fingers under your hips, and place your hands under your hips for additional support.
- Hold this pose for one minute and relax.
- Come out of this yoga asana by bringing your spine back to the yoga mat.
- Drop your knees on the mat.
3. Cobra Pose
- Lie down on the yoga mat with your hands under your shoulders and fingers facing the forward direction.
- Bring your arms inward and towards your chest. Do not let your elbows fall out and towards the side.
- Press your hands and lift your chest, head, and shoulders.
- Now you can lift them halfway or completely up.
- Slightly bend your elbows.
- Let your head drop back to feel the stretch in this yoga for back and neck pain asana.
- Release this position and come down on the mat on an exhale.
- Keep your arms to the side and rest your head.
- Now let us focus a bit on yoga poses that can help you get rid of neck pain.
- Yoga For Neck Pain
4. Child’s Pose
- Get into the kneeling position on the yoga mat and inhale.
- Exhale and bring down your buttocks closer to your heels. Stretch your body down and bring your arms forward.
- Rest your arms on the mat. Keep them alongside your stomach and in between the thighs and forehead.
- Hold this position for some time with deep breaths. Feel the stretch in your spine.
5. Corpse Pose
- Lie down on the yoga mat. Keep your knees bent.
- Inhale slowly and straighten one leg at a time.
- Exhale and let your body relax with your hands and palms placed to the side of your body. Keep your palms facing upwards.
- Keep your focus on inhaling and exhaling.
- Hold this position for some time. Take at least 3 breaths with your eyes closed.
- The Corpse Pose is one of the best yoga for back and neck pain asana. It rejuvenates your body and mind after a yoga session.
Back and neck pain are often a result of a sedentary lifestyle and a lack of exercise. Although a gym membership might seem the best option all it does is stiffen your body’s natural flexibility. You should practice the five yoga for neck and back pain asanas mentioned above to cut the issue from its roots.
Ques 1) Is yoga good for neck and back pain?
Ans) Of course yes! Practicing yoga when you are suffering from neck and back pain can help in releasing your pain. It improves the blood flow into painful body parts. Thus, it helps in relaxing your muscles leading to less pain.
Ques 2) Can yoga worsen back pain?
Ans) It depends! If your pain is very severe, then it is recommended that you do not practice yoga. However, if there is a slight pain, you must practice various yoga stretches that can help you relax and lessen the pain.
Ques 3) Should I stretch my neck if it hurts?
Ans) You can stretch your neck depending on the intensity of your neck pain. If it is too stiff and hurting a lot, you are advised to see a medical professional. However, if your neck hurts a little, you must stretch as it makes it more mobile and flexible.